Journal Submission Guidelines
The CAHS Journal is published four times a year and strives to include content representing all aspects of Canadian aviation history.
We welcome content both from CAHS members and people outside the society who want to be published in Canada’s most prestigious aviation history periodical.
At this time we unfortunately cannot offer payment for articles, photos, and stories.
What We Are Looking For
- Feature-length articles (up to 6,500 words)
- Shorter articles (1,700 words to 3,000 words)
- Canadian aviation history book, film, and other media reviews
- Profiles of important Canadian aviation figures and aircraft
- Pictorial features based on photography, art, or other historical imagery
- Articles that mark the anniversary of an important aviation history event*
- Articles that offer a new interpretation or newly-discovered information on significant events and people
Please Note: Queries for time-sensitive articles (such as ones that mark an anniversary) must be submitted at least 6 months before that date so the editor can work it into the editorial calendar
Submitting Your Work for Publication
Please do not submit unsolicited original material, manuscripts or research. We cannot be responsible for their return.
- Become familiar with the Journal by reading recent back issues
- Discuss your idea with the CAHS Journal editor by emailing a short query. We will make every effort to personally respond to your queries.
- If your idea is accepted, you and the editor will agree upon a deadline for a first draft
- The editor will do an initial check of the article and may discuss possible revisions with you
- You and the editor will discuss photo and other illustrative submissions for resolution, formatting, method of delivery, etc.
- The article may go to CAHS fact-checkers for peer review
- You and the editor may approve a final draft of the story (if required)
- You will be asked to submit a short biographical note that will identify your expertise to readers
- You will need to sign a CAHS permission form agreeing to publication and distribution of the work
- Texts should be in Canadian English and double-spaced
- For research-based pieces, we require proper citing of sources. Please follow the Chicago Style Manual and use footnotes instead of endnotes.
- Submissions must be made in digital form by e-mail. Please use word-processing software such as Microsoft Word (Macintosh or Windows), WordPerfect (Windows), or Pages (Macintosh). Please save text files as .doc and not .docx.
- If you are submitting a book review, please follow the format below and include a scanned image of the cover (300 dpi or better):
Great Circles: The Keith Greenaway Story
By Kathy Berquist
Hardcover with laminated dust jacket
315 pp. 5.75 x 8.75 inches, $20.00
ArtBookbindery, Ottawa, ON, 2008, ISBN 978-0-xxxxxxxx
What to Include In Your Query
When proposing a story idea, you should submit:
- A brief outline and synopsis of your idea
- A list of sources you expect to use
- Proposed length and type of article
- A short note about previous writing experience and any special qualifications you bring to your subject
- Suggestions for, or examples of, illustrative material (photos, drawings, artwork, etc.)